Azogues, The Worker of the South
Foundation of Azogues: October 4, 1562
Azogues is a city that belongs to the province of Cañar. It is unique within the cities nestled in the Ecuadorian Andes, because it has used its supposed topographic disadvantage for the benefit of a correct urban functionality, taking advantage of geographical conditions to obtain landscape views. In fact, it is known as the City of the viewpoints.
For those who visit it, it offers a wide and unexplored alternative of artisanal, religious, cultural and ecological tourist attractions, with a varied and delicious cuisine.
The canton Azogues has four protection areas, protected forests are: the Cubilan Forest, Rumicruz Forest, Pichahuaycu Forest, Bosque Doubts Mazar being the largest and is located in the eastern parishes such as Taday, Pindilig and Rivera.
There are nine parishes that make it up: Azogues, Cojitambo, Guapán, Javier Loyola, Luis Cordero, Pindilig, Rivera, San Miguel and Taday.
Azogues Tourist Places
- Sanctuary of the Virgin of the Cloud: The Sanctuary of the Virgin of the Cloud, monumental stone construction that stands out in the highest part of the city.
- Azogues Cathedral: It is a classic Roman style and in its part later has a modern style, preserving the line of building. Its interior is integrated by images.
- Abuga Hill: The Abuga hill rises in the form of two rounded peaks in a north - south direction, on the "sandstone" formation of Azogues.
- Cojitambo Archaeological Complex: The archaeological site of Cojitambo, located on the hill of the same name 11 km from Azogues, is conformed by an extensive complex of ruins.
- Cojitambo Hill: The morphology of Cojitambo is of the multiforme type according to the angle of the one that is seen. There are those from the north who describe it as a sleeping lion.
- Jatumpamba ceramics: Jatumpamba ceramics are characterized by the elaboration of ceramic pieces using the handmade technique of the "beaters or huactanas" of clay.
- Guapán Hot Springs
- Toquilla Straw Crafts
- Protective Forest
- Rumicruz Hill
- Cubilan Protective Forest
- Protective Forest Doubts Mazar
- Pichahuaycu Protective Forest
- Forests of San Marcos or Cascaritas Cerro Abuga
- Church of San Miguel de Porotos
- Taday Church
- Church of the Lord of Burgos
- Church of the Lord of the Flowers
- Regional Ethnographic Museum
- Shin Ruins
- Franciscan Sanctuary
- Carved in stone
The weather here is mild, and generally warm and temperate. The precipitation in Azogues it is significant, with rainfall even during the month more dry. The average annual temperature is 15 ° C in Azogues. The Approximate average rainfall is 847 mm.
Gastronomy of the Worker of the South
- Pork cascaritas: this traditional dish of the sector is wanted by locals and visitors and consists of browning the leather of the animal, slice it with a knife and serve it with nickname, salt and pepper to taste.
- Potatoes with guinea pig: you can savor in the Charasol parish, of Canton Azogues. It is prepared grilled and accompanied with hard boiled egg and chili pepper.
- Baked Pork: this traditional dish is served accompanied by peeled dried maize, llapingachos, tomato, lettuce and onion salad.
Typical Azogues drinks
- Shampoos: drink made from cornmeal and mote.
- Cheese: along the roads of Cañar, you can taste cheese from delightful taste. These are tasted accompanied with bread, sweet of figs or honey.
- Other meals: Creole chicken broth, potatoes with leather, guatita, tamales, humitas, quimbolitos and tortillas, as well as juices, milkshakes and morocho Sweets like: quesadillas, arepas, wind bread, sighs, chocolates, sugar balls with vegetables, biscuits and alfajores.
Azogues Culture and Traditions
- Taita Carnival: Colorful and loud excitement which is lived in the streets of Azogues during the celebration of the yearly parade of the Taita Carnival. It is developed with the participation of dancers and floats of different provinces that cross Bolivar street before thousands of people, not only from Azogues but other cantons of Azuay. The parade is headed by the provincial and Cantonal authorities, in addition to the presence of the sponsor of this event, the President of the Chamber of Industries and Commerce and other Institutions. With dances the streets are traveled from the Electric Company to the central park, then go to the Juan Bautista Vázquez school where the election of the Queen of Azogues, the Girl and the best dance takes place, according to the costumes, the allegorical car and the presentation of the dances. Kinder gardens and schools participate.
- Celebrations of independence: November is an important month in the transcendent history of the Province of Cañar, because in addition to commemorating the independence of Azogues, on November 3 the creation of the "Province of Azogues” took place, a fact that occurred in 1880. Subsequently, in 1884, the only thing that is done is to change the nomination for "Province of Cañar". It is a historical date opaqued by the celebration of the Independence of Cuenca.
- The Azogues festivities begin in October, with the proclamation and coronation of the Queen of Azogues. In later days, on the street Simón Bolívar the Cry of the Holidays is held, with the participation of Miss Ecuador and queens of: Azogues, Suscal, Biblián, La Troncal, dance groups of the Azogues canton schools as: La Providencia, Luis Cordero, La Salle, Juan Bautista Vázquez, Javier Loyola, Roberto Rodas, The UNE, Ezequiel Cárdenas, Rogelio González, Juan Guratavi, and other delegations in those who highlight the music, dance, dress and folklore of the national identity, expressed in cultural traditions and values that are lived and exposed in each province of the country, so especially in indigenous communities, which maintain their ancestral roots.
- Funeral ornaments: The celebration of the Day of the Dead attracts trade. Outside the cemeteries, merchants of various sectors exhibit merchandise such as crowns, flowers and others ornaments to fix the graves.
- Procession of the Virgin of the Cloud: “It's a great day where people participate with faith”, said Father González, at the time of making a call for the event not to look like something folkloric, where certain people come only to observe. This religious tradition is rooted in the heart of the catholic people for over 100 years and every time it summons thousands of Austro parishioners and emigrants residing in the United States, who consider the image as their protector. The sanctuary of the Virgin of the Cloud is located on the small hill from El Calvario, located east of the city of Azogues in the Cañar province. The traditional Feast of the Virgin of the Cloud is celebrated on January 1st of each year. Construction began from the year of 1912 and was made with carved stone that gives a formidable structure and what most attracts attention is the symmetrical structure of bleachers that serve as access to the temple.
The Worker of the South obtains the Spanish foundation on the 4th of October 1562. The full name given by the Spaniards to the population was San Francisco de Peleusí. In 1809, after 10 August, Azogues together with Cuenca, Cañar and Biblián joined the Patriotic Board of Quito. In 1812 the patriots of this region triumphed over the realistic forces in the battle of Cazhicay. It was decided to add the name of the Azogue, for the discovery of the scourge mines or Mercury on the Guayzhún hill.
- 2000 - October 31: Declared “Cultural and Urban Heritage of Ecuador"
- 1820 - November 4: Independence of Azogues.
- 1580: Report on the existence of red clay in San Miguel de Beans
- From 1558 to 1565: Finding and exploitation by Gil Ramírez Dávalos de the Azogue mines in Guayshún.
Source: Thesis Zoila Alexandra Romero Vargas