Pedro Vicente Maldonado
A jewel of waterfalls located in the heart of the subtropical forest in the North West of Pichincha, come and discover this colorful destination full of natural attractions and gastronomy.
- The colors of Pedro Vicente Maldonado are green and blue. The green for its exuberant nature, its large trees that contain the magic of the place, along with its blue waters that you can enjoy in all its waterfalls and rivers that surround it.
- Pedro Vicente Maldonado, Aloasí, Calacalí, Calderón, La Merced, Lloa, Machachi, Mindo, Pacto, Pintag, Pomasqui are part of the Destino de Colores campaign, they are a select group of rural destinations of Pichincha province that offer to tourists a variety of tourism experiences oriented to contact with nature and culture; as well as sustainable and community tourism experiences.
- Prefectura de Pichincha, through the Destino de Colores campaign, promotes the entrepreneurial spirit of Pichincha people..
What should you know about Pedro Vicente Maldonado?
- It is a place where you can find and enjoy various ecotourism sites, where it is common to practice water sports such as rafting and kayaking.
- The area lends itself to scientific research, especially by national and foreign biologists.
- It is easy to understand why the scientist from Riobamba, Pedro Vicente Maldonado, explored these blessed lands during his famous journey to Esmeraldas. From that visit, is where the name of this canton of Pichincha is born.
- Most of the population of Pedro Vicente Maldonado is of Lojano origin, that is why many names reflect this heritage: Célica, El Cisne among others.
- Pedro Vicente Maldonado, is known by its diversity of waterfalls: Salto del Tigre waterfall, Achotillo River waterfall, Blue waterfall, Tatalá waterfall , Hidden waterfall , Green waterfalls. Also it is known by its rivers: Jordan river, Pitzara river, San Dimas river, Cabuyal river, Las Tinas river, Pachijal river, Silanche river, Achiote river, among others.
- Pedro Vicente Mcdonalds has rich cultivation fields because of its natural and weather conditions. The production of coffee, rice, and a wide variety of fruit are recognized all over the country.
- Pedro Vicnete Maldonado has valuable raw materials highly appreciated by the industry: cabuya, African palm, rubber, sugar cane, bamboo, hearts of palm, peanuts, etc.
- Today, Pedro Vicente Maldonado grows quickly thanks to the dedication and hard work of its community.
- It is formed by the Negrito River, it is approximately 25 meters high and 5 meters wide, giving rise to a natural pool whose cause is calm, showing a preserved natural setting.
- From the first moment you arrive you can admire paradisiacal landscapes .
- It is called Cascada Azul because it gives rise to a natural pool with a very characteristic bluish color with a calm channel where you can swim.
- It also offers a super quiet natural place away from any stress of the city.
- River located in the northwest of Pichincha, it is born in the canton of San Miguel de los Bancos, runs through the canton of Pedro Vicente Maldonado, as well as the canton of Puerto Quito.
- This river has several characteristics: it is 20 meters wide, in some sectors its course is fast and current. Along its route its waters irrigate cattle and agricultural farms.
- To enjoy an impressive adventure, we enter a path that takes us to two waterfalls, formed by two streams that come from nearby rivers, the two form a pool to enjoy a bath, the color of the water is blue-green, hence its name.
- Its particularity is that streams are formed from these waters, they present an exquisite and delicate natural landscape, they have the advantage of allowing bathing in their green waters.
- The view of this waterfall is surprising, due to the union of the crystal clear and clean waters of the San Dimas River with the strong dark and foamy currents of the Guayllabamba River, it increases a great vestige of pulverized water, which is already calmer inside the cause.
- The fall of water from the San Dimas River has eroded the rock forming a deep, long and ovoid pool approximately 4 meters wide by 10 meters long.
- Right at the junction of the Guayllabamba and San Dimas rivers, the gigantic rocks, located on both sides, narrow to form a canyon to allow the passage of the Guayllabamba river.
- It has a natural environment full of wild orchids, heliconias and other native flora. You will also find birds like the tropical cormorant .
- This waterfall is formed by the Las Tinas estuary, it forms a mini lagoon, its waters are fast, but as a reward you can enjoy its warm breezes.
- The waterfall invites you to join a fantastic adventure, full of emotion and adrenaline through the most spectacular and unexplored landscapes that can be seen around the waterfall, an adventure that you will never forget, so you will soon return to the Hidden waterfall.
- It is born in the canton of San Miguel de los Bancos and flows into the Caoní River.
- On its way it forms a fantastic waterfall approximately 6 meters high by 12 meters wide, forming an impressive pool that invites you to immerse yourself in its warm waters.
- The Achotillo River Waterfall is located in the Pedro Vicente Maldonado canton, it offers all the comforts with the environment, surrounded by natural biodiversity and rivers; it is ideal for families, small groups and individual travelers.
- This is a huge waterfall 100 meters high.
- Birds can be seen perching on the rocks to rest.
- It is possible to entertain the look with colorful butterflies that walk all over the place.
- You will be able to enjoy the presence of endemic animals such as hummingbirds, woodpeckers and parrots .
Popular Festivals of Pedro Vicente Maldonado
- Festivities of San Pedro and San Pablo - June 29th: Handicraft exhibitions and an important livestock and agricultural fair are organized where products from the area such as coffee, cocoa and hearts of palm are displayed. The festivities program includes sports games, as well as the election of the queen, and closes with a general dance on June 29th, Saint Peter's Day.
- Festivities of the Virgen del Cisne - August 15th.
- Fiestas for the political emancipation of Pedro Vicente Maldonado - January 15th.
Gastronomy of the Canton Pedro Vicente Maldonado
- Fried Tilapia: This succulent fish is served with patacones and a tomato, onion, red and green pepper salad, bathed in a vinaigrette.
- Palmito Ceviche: This is gaining a greater number of consumers nationwide, as it is a dish with a high protein content, healthy and with a pleasant flavor, made mainly with hearts of palm, onion, coriander, orange and lemon juice; It is usually served with bread, toasted corn or chifles.
- Borojó smoothie : Made mainly with borojó pulp, milk and sugar. It has a large amount of amino acids. It has been used as an invigorator and energizer since ancient times.
Lodging in Pedro Vicente Maldonado
The Pedro Vicente Maldonado canton has few lodging sites:
- 3 third-category residence hostels.
- 5 inns: 2 first category, and 3 second category.
- 1 first class cabin.
- 1 third category pension.
- 1 third category hotel.
The entrepreneurial flame is fanned in Pedro Vicente Maldonado
Gilberto Yumbo, sugar cane trader
- Gilberto is a Pedro Vicentino man who walks the streets of Pedro Vicente Maldonado every day selling delicious cane juice. Gilberto is a friend of the tourists who come to Pedro Vicente Maldonado, attracted by the natural beauty of its landscapes and by its agro-productive strength.
- Pedro Vicente Maldonado's sugarcane is a good example of the fertility of these lands where all kinds of agricultural products are produced.
Jorge Escobar, administrator of the Caimán waterfall.
- In the Escondido Bajo, at Finca San Juan, there are trails where you can admire fine guayacanes and wild grapes; they lead to waterfalls where tourists can bathe in crystal clear waters.
- The 25-meter waterfall is the culmination of 2 other waterfalls of 2 and 3 meters each, where tourists can literally enjoy a refreshing hydromassage.
- From the Barrio Lindo, the Cayman River is born. It runs 10 kilometers until it reaches the waterfall, that is one of several dozen waterfalls that have not yet been explored.
Marcelo Yumbo, tourism entrepreneur, Sendero Fruti tour.
- Among guatusos, armadillos, this Pedro Vicentino receives tourists who arrive excited to walk his path, famous for the variety of birds that can be observed.
- Woodpeckers, Chocó toucans, more than 15 species of hummingbirds, are the protagonists of this trail.
Inés Guaranda, El Calvario
- In the town of Celica, 12 chapels hidden in the forest allow tourists to walk the Via Crucis of the Passion of Christ.
- On the tour, tourists pass through each of the Stations of the Cross, where the spirituality of the chapels mixed with the harmony of nature create an ideal environment for spiritual reflection.
Jonathan Castillo, businessman.
- Nearly 20 thousand kilos of pitahaya per year per hectare, is the best summary of the entrepreneurial effort of the people of Pedro Vincente Maldonado.
Hernán Giraldo, rancher.
- The climate of Pedro Vicente Maldonado, on average 20°C allows maintaining pastures in all months of the year, hence this canton is ideal for agricultural production.
- 350 liters per day are produced by Harnan Giraldo, which is marketed every 8 days at the canton fair. The idea is that the Cattlemen's Association seeks direct marketing, without intermediaries.
- Fausto Romero, President of the Pedro Vicente Maldonado Cattlemen's Association, explains that the fair is essential for the exhibition and promotion of their animals. For this, the Association provides facilities for the commercialization of livestock that according to this expert is the main productive activity of the canton.
History of the Canton Pedro Vicente Maldonado
- The colonization of the northwest of the province of Pichincha began in 1950, with Teodoro Arrieta accompanied by a group of citizens. In this way, the first and largest cooperative called "John F. Kennedy" was formed, which was legalized in 1963.
- In 1965, the first communal house was built at km 111 and the place for the creation of the populated center was defined, which is located between kilometers 115 and 116 of the current Calacalí - La Independencia road.
- On September 29, 1972, "San Miguel de los Bancos" was parochialized, meaning independence from the old "Mindo" Parish, and the Pedro Vicente Maldonado campus belonging to the San Miguel de los Bancos was legally born.
- As of November 9th, 1987, under the direction of Mr. Hugo Pérez, First President of the Cantonization Committee and once the legal requirements and formalities were completed, the study of the cantonization project of Pedro Vicente Maldonado began.
- On January 14th, 1992, the Plenary of the Legislative Commissions was scheduled to discuss the second and final debate on the Bill for the Creation of the Pedro Vicente Maldonado Canton in the Province of Pichincha, organized by the Parish Council , supported by Father Josué Izaguirre and directed by the Cantonization Committee, decided to mobilize massively to the National Congress in Quito.
- The Plenary of the Legislative Commissions issues the Law for the creation of the "Pedro Vicente Maldonado" canton on January 15th, 1992, promulgated on January 24th of the same year, and is published in Official Gazette No. 802, on January 28th, 1992.